Wednesday, June 2, 2010

put your hands up for Detroit

Onur Ozer
Ida Engberg
Martyn
Paco Osuna
Claude VonStroke
Plastikman
Ben Klock
Kid Sister
Cassy
DJ Sneak
Derrick Carter
Robert Hood
Inner City
dOP
Michael Mayer
Stacey Pullen
Mauro Picotto
Magda

And that is the 2010 Detroit Electronic Music Festival in one neat list. It is difficult to look at that list and think artists are missing, yet they are. With five stages playing music at the same time, it's impossible to see everyone. But the artists I did see, were incredible. After all, this is the festival that turned me on to techno music two years ago. Where I danced the days away and promised to return year after year. 

Arrival

More than a dozen of my friends from around the country met up in Detroit for DEMF 2010, most of us staying at the same hotel. We spent Friday night catching up and causing all sorts of trouble. I went to bed early Saturday morning with a good feeling about my group and the weekend that was about to unfold.

Day 1

I spent most of Saturday at the Beatport Stage, which is all techno all the time. My friends and I relaxed on the grass, as the beats of Onur Ozer and Ida Engberg welcomed us to the city that birthed techno. Then I danced my ass off at the Red Bull stage to dubstep king Martyn. His set was so fun, I found myself looking forward to when Paxahau releases the festival's sets and I can listen to his on repeat. Our group separated and came back together several times during the day, and I was even alone a few times - which was not a problem with artists like Paco Osuna and Claude VonStroke rocking the decks. But the personal highlight of the day - and festival - was main stage closer Plastikman.

The best way for me to describe Plastikman is two words - epic shit. As the fog machine pumped and the curtain opened on the Vitamin Water stage, I knew we were in for a treat. There stood Richie Hawtin amongst mountains of equipment surrounded by a cylinder cage. Lights projected onto the cage to the rhythm of the music and it was an audio/visual experience I will never forget. In fact, I can still feel the bass in my brain. After forty-five minutes, the stage became dark and silent. Suddenly, Richie Hawtin appeared at the front of the stage. He completed the set there, smiling the entire time. And when he finished, the crowd erupted with appreciation. He waved and bowed and blew kisses and seemed genuinely gracious for this moment. I sweartogod, I almost cried. The below video may give you chills.



After regaining our composure, my friends and I went to an after party close to our hotel, which was shut down within two hours. After such an amazing first day, I was not the least bit disappointed.

Day 2

On the second day, we decided to stick together as much as possible. We arrived to the festival in time to hear Kid Sister rocking her hit track at the Red Bull Stage, and I met a Flickr contact, which was an interesting event itself - to meet someone in person after looking at their daily self portraits for months. The rest of the day was spent running around to half sets - but all incredible, banging music. I caught the beginning of Cassy at the Beatport stage. And we danced under the sunlight to house heavyweights DJ Sneak and Derrick Carter. Robert Hood played a hard, dark set at the Made in Detroit Stage. 

Then most of us hit up the main stage for Sunday closer Inner City. I don't usually dive into crowds to find a spot up front, but a friend convinced me we could get close. We slowly inched our way through the hot and sweaty mass of people, and next thing I know, I am front and center, looking up at Inner City and touching the security railing. The energy was so positive, I could have danced all night to the upbeat music. Although I could have done without the oblivious grinding couples and dangerous crowd surfing. 

We met up as a group at the hotel and found ourselves back at the same venue as the night before, waiting in one very long line for an after party. I am not sure if it was the intense dancing all day, but most of us decided to head back to the hotel and hang out there. Either way, it was a fun night.

Day 3

By now, my body is feeling the pain from so much movement. We dragged ourselves out of the hotel in time to see dOP at the Beatport stage. I caught dOP in San Francisco before, so I knew of the singer's antics, and he did not disappoint. The music was simply fun. Then, after two days of insufferable heat, it started to rain. Some of my friends left, but as I stayed behind with a few others to look at t-shirts, I asked, really, are we going to let rain keep us from good music? We stayed and danced in the rain. 



Michael Mayer at the Red Bull stage and Stacey Pullen at the Vitamin Water stage kept our feet happy. We caught the beginning of Mauro Picotto's set at the Torino stage, a dance party as energetic as if the sun was shining. Then our group shrunk down to myself and another friend. We headed underground for Magda's set at the Made in Detroit stage, where many were keeping shelter from the rain. It was an hour into her set, at 10:30 Monday night, that my legs finally gave out. I officially could not dance anymore.

We gathered at the hotel for one last hangout, our brains mush from audio and visual over stimulation, our bodies destroyed from so much dancing. We finished the last of our beers and wanted to keep the party going, but eventually went to bed, knowing we had to go home early the next day.

Departure

When I got home Tuesday evening, my ears were still ringing and my mind was still buzzing from the weekend. Yes, the music was incredible, but what made the trip so much fun, was spending time with all of my crazy friends, and making a few new pals. I did not take many photos and even neglected my self portraits, but I have some amazing memories.

And I cannot freakin wait for next year.

Photos: DEMF 2010 on Flickr

No comments: