Tuesday, May 25, 2010
you're either an activist or an in-activist
And so spoke the voice over in "The Cove," which I saw recently.
I watch these environmental movies and I'm horrified. Most of the stories are not news to me, but I sympathize and think, man, we really gotta change the system. And I go on with my daily life. I read Vegetable, Animal, Miracle and still buy produce packaged hundreds of miles away. I watch Food, Inc. and still eat meat from unknown sources. I watch "King of Corn" and carry on consuming corn syrup. And most recently, I watch "The Cove" and continue to eat fish.
But I wouldn't consider myself an in-activist. I recycle anything I can and even separate compost once a week. When buying fruit and veggies at the grocery store, I try to buy produce at least from California. I turn off lights in the apartment that are not being used. I carpool and use public transportation and hell, even walk places. And when tragedy strikes at home and around the world, I donate what I can to charity.
I feel like there is so much more I could be doing. I am both inspired and overwhelmed. I think the best leaders encourage change beginning with the individual. Short of devoting your entire life to a cause, speak with your money, mind and mouth. Not everyone is fit for the Peace Corps or Whale Wars. Just as little things eventually tear down this world, so do little actions make it a better place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment