Sunday, November 7, 2010
to run, to race, to live
I ran my first half marathon this morning. In the cold pouring rain. I never considered bowing out, not even for a split second when my alarm sounded at 4:30 AM. I've been waiting for this moment for months. I was up late last night creating the perfect dance energy playlist. I stayed sober all weekend to maintain proper hydration. I was ready to run 13 miles, crappy weather be damned.
At least, that was my positive attitude at the start of today's U.S Half Marathon in San Francisco. By the time the countdown reached zero, I was used to the rain (i.e. soaking wet). I set out on the streets of the Marina with about 5,000 other runners. Within the first mile I lost sight of my running partner and very good friend Tom. And my iPod stopped working. Rihanna wasn't keeping me company today.
I held what I thought was a good pace. I was pushing my body, but felt like I could keep at it for 10 miles or so, and then sprint at the end. The first pit stop at the end of Crissy Field -3 miles mark - was lengthier than I expected . Goddamn women's bathroom line. Next thing I know, we're running across Golden Gate Bridge and the #1 runner is looping across the other side. This was an exciting moment, when all the racers on my side realized he was in first. We cheered for him and marveled at the incredible lead he had. (I found out later he won with a 10 minute lead.)
I was still feeling good when we ran under the bridge to loop back on the other side. We were running downhill on a muddy trial and my ankles started to throb, a new running pain for me. Realizing we passed the halfway mark, I downed a Cliff shot. Back on the bridge, I felt my body slowing down. With each down hill movement, the pain in my ankles grew. I passed Tom on the turnaround by Fort Point. He had a good lead on me, but his cheering gave me a much needed push.
After mile 10, my knees kept giving out. Yes, both of my IT bands were acting up. I stopped to walk a few times, and each time a runner gave me a pat on the back, encouraging me to keep going. The camaraderie of racing, I can't begin to describe it. I slowed to a jog, at this point accepting I had missed my 2 hour goal, and my new goal was to finish the race.
Crossing the finish line was incredible. Duffman the announcer called my name and I used every last bit of energy to raise my arms in the air. Considering the cold rain, I was surprised to see my friends there. I hugged everyone a very grateful hello then immediately stepped away to burst into tears. Running through the pain was a mental challenge, but also, goddamn that shit hurt. My husband put the medal over my head and I pulled myself together. My first medal. A half marathon. This doesn't happen everyday.
And with that, I accomplished all my running goals for 2010: beat a 10:00 mile, run a 5K, 10K, and half marathon. For the next month or so, I'm taking it easy. Until January anyway.
Time: 2:18:50
Pace: 10:36
Overall: 1726/2970
Age Division: 366/703
Female Division: 755/1620
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
This is awesome Amanda, so proud of you!!! (and Tom) Big congrats! :)
You are truly an amazing friend and runner Amanda! This race was more of a hurdle for you than a triumph but you'll have many more triumphs to come! I can't wait to run with you more.... (after our long deserved break!)
Congrats on the run and pushing through the mental and physical barriers! (I hope your ankle and IT bands are OK.) :(
So proud of you! You have been such an inspiration to me this year.
@ Cha Cha, thanks whoever you are! ;-)
@ Tom, just as we have bad and good runs, we have bad and good races. They can't all be winners. Everyone is so proud of me, I have a hard time feeling bad about the race.
Now to recover!
@ Kari, aww, really? Thanks!
Post a Comment