Sunday, January 10, 2010

run like hell and get the agony over with


I am such a hypocrite. All that anti-resolution talk and I went ahead and made one, without even realizing it. I grew to love running over the last half of 2009, but never stepped it up to the level I wanted. I am embracing this opportunity for a fresh start.

I worked out four times since January 2nd, having spent most of the 1st horizontal. Thank goodness I joined a small neighborhood gym because there's no crazy resolution crowd - just the regulars. I look like a fool at first using the cardio machines, but the owner always comes over to help and I eventually find a rhythm. On Saturday my running partner Tom kicked my butt with some core strengthening exercises. Then we ran three miles. Yea, my core is hurting today.

As someone who grew up with no athletic ability beyond dance classes, it's crazy to think of myself as a runner. But I am. Jesus, I get excited about new running clothes and cute gym bags. My goal last year was simply to run. Now is the time to push it to the limit, as Rocky would say.

Goals for 2010:
  • Run a 5k
  • Run a 10k
  • Run a half marathon
  • Run at least 3 times a week
  • Break a sub-10 minute mile
  • Cross train at least once a week
  • Weight train at least once a week
  • SUPER SIZE MY CORE
If you want to track my progress, bookmark my profile on dailymile. I made the profile mostly for personal reasons, but also to share my journey with friends and family - and hopefully inspire others.

Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can ~ Lowell Thomas

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking at this... you're well on your way to achieving your 2010 goals and it's only Jan! Go SUB 10 Minute Mile! :)

PS - I can't wait until Feb when I get to kick your butt (or more aptly your core) at the gym again. :)

Mandy K said...

I know, thanks!

The next step is upping miles on our long runs :-P