Friday, November 27, 2009

Blessings


Mountain of mashed potatoes
Originally uploaded by mandy kaotik

For the first time ever, I spent Thanksgiving away from my family. It was difficult, not making the usual trek to New Hampshire, spending the day joking with my brothers and parents, pigging out and drinking up. If you saw the appetizer spread my Aunt put outs, you would understand.

This year friends invited us over for a small dinner, complete with the usual Thanksgiving fixings. The food was INCREDIBLE - brussell sprouts with bacon, sausage stuffing, strawberry salad and the juiciest turkey I've had in my life. Not to mention a pile of mashed potatoes as tall as Mount Tam. I made mulled wine and it was the perfect accent. The flavor reminded me of autumn and New England - the kind of days that leave you warm and fuzzy.

We started passing food around the table, sharing our blessings. 2009 has been a crazy year, and I am incredibly grateful for the support back home in Boston - from both my family and close friends. Life is not the same without them here, but they are always in my heart. I am grateful for my new family in San Francisco - the close friends I already knew and their never ending generosity, plus the new friends who welcomed me with open arms. And I am grateful for my true family, my loving husband Andy and our two crazy cats.

I have food on the table, money in the bank and excellent health. I count everyday as a blessing, a miracle that I am alive and so full of love.

For each new morning with its light, For rest and shelter of the night, For health and food, For love and friends, For everything Thy goodness sends.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: