Monday, January 17, 2011

the stages of grief/running injuries

What should have been a refreshing run in the beautiful Saturday sun was downright depressing. I thought I had a handle on my IT band. I thought I was finally moving forward, slowly adding miles so I can one day  race again. I promised to be patient, to stretch and foam roll like it's my second job. I took a month of complete rest, then a month of strengthening and stretching. My physical therapist said I was ready.

But the right lateral knee pain (from my inflamed, tight IT band rubbing against the outside of the knee) kicked in before I hit the two mile mark. And I was hoping for just under 4 miles that morning, to catch a glimpse of the beach. I took walk breaks. I tried running through the pain. I noticed my right foot hitting the ground differently than my left and obsessed about my form. Everything felt unnatural. I hated running in that moment. I decided to quit.

It's probably best I didn't go home right away. I walked to the sandwich shop and picked up lunch, as well as drinks at the convenience store. Where the clerks at both businesses knew my name and orders. I smiled, distracted at the realization that I'm officially a local in these parts. I'm the woman who always purchases a banana with her diet soda, and the same veggie sandwich. And the night before, the host at the sushi restaurant knew my name based on the order alone.

As I sat to enjoy the food and drinks with Andy, I found myself forgetting about the run. And in the shower, I didn't cry. I was already plotting what I could do to improve and heal. I would buy sneakers, a pair that won't wear down before 300 miles. And if that didn't work, I would continue to be patient. What matters is I'm healthy and active. Running is just an added bonus.

Life is short; running makes it seem longer ~ Baron Hansen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this post..... One thing that I learned from yoga is that you have to keep a smile and sense of humor about things. Not that you can smile or keep a sense of humor about an IT band issue.... but keep "light" and patient about it. It seems you are realizing pretty much the same thing in your post.

There is still plenty of time to hit your goal of a marathon. And I know you'll do it!

On the plus side, exploring other athletic activities have been awesome too!

Mandy K said...

Patience is my only way out of this injury. At least I can still exercise right now!