Last week, I saw one of my favorite bands, The Builders and the Butchers, perform at Bottom of Hill. The first and last time I saw them was more than a year ago, opening for Amanda Palmer and Evelyn Evelyn in Boston. The bill was perfect and the Builders and the Butchers fit right in with the theatrics. I was blown away by their performance - the energy, the passion, the synchronized drumming.
When I found out about the upcoming show in San Francisco, I became increasingly obsessed with the Builders and the Butchers. By last Wednesday, I had purchased all their albums and watched almost every video of them on the internet. And they did not disappoint. At the beginning of their set, they assembled a variety of musical instruments at the foot of the stage - maracas, tambourines, noisemakers. Members of the audience gobbled them up. That's right - audience participation.
With the fierce strumming of their opening tune "Spanish Death Song," the audience shook their instruments in the air. This, friends, is why I have no photo evidence of the show. I am usually not a "clapper" at concerts, but when the lead singer commanded our percussion, I obeyed. I stomped my feet, shouted the words and loved every minute of their set, as they played the hits, oldies and never been heard. Their lyrics are incredible and I am still dreaming of the drumming - an unorthodox drum setup where two band members drum at the same time, rings of bells sounding as they stomp their feet.
The Builders and the Butchers defy genres, their music is a fusion of folk songwriting, old American garage instruments, and raw punk rock -- while exploring the constant struggle of good versus evil, salvation versus destiny. If they ever visit your town, brush up on your tambourine skills (ouch, callouses) and GO. I keep re-watching the videos local blogger Tenacious Hand Stamp captured on his Flip. My favorite song "Black Dresses" is below. Visit YouTube for the rest.
Mp3 (right click to download):
The Builders and the Butchers - Barcelona
The Builders and the Butchers - Bringin' Home the Rain
More: Review and Photos by Amber Gregory, Examiner
No comments:
Post a Comment