Monday, October 12, 2009

224/365 : Soul food


224/365 : Soul food
Originally uploaded by mandy kaotik
My first attempt at homemade mac & cheese - cheddar, colby jack, salami and italian bread crumbs. This is probably the unhealthiest dish I've ever made, but it was delicious. I hand grated about 12 oz of cheese, which was quite a workout. I metled 5 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup of flower on the stove. Then I stirred in the cheese and 6 cups of milk, adding salt and petter. I combined the cheese with the macaroni and salami, and poured the mixture in the casserole dish. I sprinkled the top with Italian bread crumbs. Next time I will probably cut this recipe in half - I couldn't fit everything in the dish!

Casseroles are fun to bake, but so bad for you. That's real comfort food. I was reminded of an article I read recently how cooking your own meals makes you happy. I spent about an hour preparing this dish and tasting the final result was absolutely satisfying. It was a labor of love. And worth it for the approving smile on Andy's face.

No comments: