Sunday, April 26, 2009

111/365 : Four on the floor

I had my first unpleasant club experience in San Francisco this past Friday. I was excited to find out Troydon was spinning at Temple, although my local friends rolled their eyes when I mentioned the venue. But the night was free, and they figured I was better off finding out for myself.

I think we left after an hour. I had bad vibes from the moment we rounded the corner for the club. It was barely 11:00 and there was a line. There were two lines and we stood in the one for the free RSVP list; I have no idea what the other line was for, maybe those people were paying $20. We entered the club and it was cheese to the extreme - white couches, bright lighting, and stilettos and grind dancing littering the dance floor.

We downed a few drinks, but none of us felt comfortable dancing. The mood at these clubs is simply predatory. When a dude started chatting me up, I was very unpleasant, told him I was married, blah blah blah. Of course then he claimed he just wants to be friends. Did I mention this conversation occurred after I saw him and another dude grinding a girl who could barely stand up? This was not the place to make friends.

After the go-go dancers arrived and Troydon started spinning Top 40 Ultra/dance/tech-house for the crowd, we decided to call it a night. We lasted an hour. I felt like I was back in Boston, and just paid up the ass to see one of my favorite musicians play a lame, watered down set for a crowd who don't even know the name of the DJ.

Although Stacey Pullen and Miguel Migs will be at Temple in the coming weeks, I will not.

No comments: