Friday, November 16, 2007

party til you puke

iTunes will be the beginning and end of me.

I just bought Everclear's So Much for the Afterglow. AGAIN. I crushed the original when I dropped a stereo years ago. The CD was covered in scratches anyway. I wore the album out like my first copy of Weezer's Blue Album. Not to mention Cake's Fashion Nugget. I hate when people say shit like "the good ole days," but man, those were the days.

God, do you remember when rock music was fun and not so goddamn serious? When bands sang about surfing and crushes and drugs? Maybe that's why I'm so jaded with the current music scene. I can't take these boys and their perfect hair and monotone voices. How can I dance when you're crying black eyeliner all over your pretty face?

Very few rock bands combine both ultimate talent and pure fun. A friend of mine in college always philosphized about AC/DC, how they were the greatest band ever because they used the simplest music to create powerful songs about girls and partying. It sounds easy, but I can't believe how many bands fail at this simple task - rocking your face off.

At my latest tattoo appointment, the artist and I talked music, as we always do, and somehow Andrew W. K. popped, errr rocked, their way into the conversation. He happened to have their infamous I Get Wet on his iBook so one click of the play button and my mood completely changed. You know the lyric - When it's time to party/We will party hard. I always thought rocking out to Andrew W. K. must be similar to straight edge partying. It's the cleanest and best time of your time of your life.

The one time I saw Andrew W. K. perform live, he ran around like a kid without a leash and crowdsurfed on the freakin stage. He took the audience away from all the bullshit problems other bands go on and on about and into a world of adrenaline-fueled fun. I didn't care about my outfit or alcohol level - for that hour, my life was rock n' roll and nothing else. Some may call that ignorance, but I call it enlightenment. The world is a fucked up place but that doesn't mean you can't smile.

No comments: