I've been avoiding this blog. Avoiding reading. Avoiding being alone with my thoughts. Someone I hung out with in college died two weeks ago. Scratch that, he was a friend in college. We weren't best pals, but had plenty of conversations and fun together. I don't know why I feel the need to make that disclaimer. There's no denying he touched my life, but it's as if calling him a friend trivializes the suffering of his family and close friends. I'm in such utter disbelief, I can't imagine their pain.
You only had to meet Craig once to understand the impact of his loss. Craig was one of the good guys, pure and simple. I don't mean that in a nice boyfriend sort of way. I mean if there really was a Heaven and Hell, we'd all be rolling around in hot embers while Craig was sitting pretty on a fluffy cloud. He had a heart of gold and would have done anything for a friend. And he wanted to save the world. Many people have their causes, but Craig truly believed in making a difference. It seemed like the motivation for everything he did - make someone's life a little brighter.
Not only was he full of love, but he had a killer sense of humor and a million dollar smile. The boy was hilarious and kids genuinely welcomed his company. Most friends will brush you off at one point or another, but Craig always had time for a conversation. I have nothing but positive memories of him, whether it was chilling in the campus center or geeking out over our research grants. I don't pretend to know Craig well. We almost completely lost touch after college, but that doesn't change the fact that through the flow of friends in my life, he left a heavy footprint.
I used to get so angry with people who, when mourning over a young soul, would simply say he was too good for this world. But I finally understand. Rest in peace, Craig.
No comments:
Post a Comment